Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Oh Othello!


















Othello, by William Shakespeare, is a very complex tragedy. It is a story full of battle, love, murder, and regret. Im not quite sure how I feel about the story of Othello because in my mind, I turned it around. I felt like this was something that could certainly still happen today. Give or take a few details. When I was reading Othello I could actually picture a modern day situation in my mind.
      My biggest dislike was the fact that when Othello suspected his wife if infidelity, he never gave her the opportunity to defend herself. I felt like that if he truly had loved her, he would have let her plead her case. There was no rational behavior in this story. All the characters jumped to conclusions and did mischevious things in order to save their selves. If everyone had just been up front with one another most of the killing and hatred never would have happened.
          The characters in Othello reminded me a lot of a group of teenagers and their love triangles. One of them always gets mad and starts an uproar among the group if the apple pf his/her eye likes another. Its always a ridiculous dramatic situation, full of hatred and regret in the end. That is what Othello made me thing of.

No comments:

Post a Comment